Monday, December 27, 2010

Wednesday Evening Paddle.

15/12/2010

It was a beautiful evening, and Owen, Graeme, Dobbo and I set out from Budgewoi Channel for a gentle cob-web clearing paddle and a few gentle rolls. Owen had his Avocet, Graeme was test paddling a P&H Delphin and Dobbo was in his shiny new yellow Aquanaut. The wind was no more than a breath and we headed up into Lake Munmorah where Owen demonstrated a re-enter and roll with his wing paddle. I tried a roll, expecting to wind up in the drink as I hadn't been in the boat for months but pulled it off. The muscle memory hasn't deserted me completely.

Graeme managed to roll the unfamiliar Delphin very gracefully and gave us a good look at the underside in the process. There's a really clearly defined flat section that looks as if it might make the boat catch waves well. There is a distinctly high volume raised prow, which looks a little odd and a low flat back deck which look like they make the boat a good roller. I'd have to say that the looks of the boat didn't appeal to me but you can't always judge a book by it's cover. I'll have to wait and see how Graeme finds the boat with a longer paddle and some open water.

We continued up to the point and then turned for home, as a light North-easter came up and gently pushed us home. Still struggling to get my forward stroke working well with my new paddle though. A very pleasant evening and thanks all for joining me.

No comments:

Post a Comment