Thursday, November 10, 2011

Messing about in boats.

With very little time at my disposal last weekend I decided to get on the water with the sole aim of spending an hour or so, just moving the boat around buoys, edging, blending strokes, paddling backwards along a range and bracing. I was really working on getting my lower body and abs involved to move the boat more efficiently and it makes such a big difference. Still lots more work to do though.

Edging and manoeuvring often includes the odd roll thrown in when the edging goes slightly further than intended and this weekend was no exception. There were lots of impromptu braces and a few rolls where I was out of position to brace without a rapid movement. I have some back problems at present and any really quick movements tend to hurt so it's better for me to roll gently than brace awkwardly or violently. I have become very rusty and when you go somewhere from point A to point B you often don't make the time to actually practice these skills so it was a worthwhile excercise for me.

It was a beautiful calm morning, the water was cool and clear, the breeze little more than the lightest zephyr to ripple the surface of the water. It was a pleasure to be on the water, even for just an hour. There is something seductive about altering a smooth surface, whether it's putting your footprints in fresh snow, writing the first word on a blank page, getting into a pool alone or watching the ripples spread out as your bow gently cleaves the water  on a calm day.

I was joined by Owen, Anne, Selim, Marty, Tony and Carolyn who had more time up their collective sleave and continued on for a quiet paddle around the headland to the lighthouse.



No comments:

Post a Comment